The History And Antiquities Of The Ancient Town And Port Of Rye, In The County Of Sussex..
Bound in the original brown blind-stamped cloth, gilt. Deckled edges. Extremities a little worn and occasional foxing, largely confined to margins, otherwise a very good copy. Armorial bookplate of George Mallows Freeman. Manuscript list of Rye MPs, 1832-68 fixed to p. 271.
COPY OWNED BY MAYOR OF WINCHELSEA
John Russell Smith, 4, Old Compton Street, Soho Square.,
With incidental notices of the cinque ports compiled from manuscripts and original authorities.
[spine title:] holloway's history of the town and port of rye.
FIRST EDITION. Fat 8vo. 6 x 9.25 inches. viii.+ 616 pp.
Illustrated by a few diagrams in text.
The rare history of Rye. This very scarce work was published in an edition of approximately 200 copies, of which 105 are noted in the list of subscribers at the end. The remainder were presumably available for sale, but many were lost in a fire, which also destroyed the stock of his 'The History of Romney Marsh' (1849), which may account for its extreme rarity today. This copy was owned by George Mallows Freeman (1852-1934), barrister, magistrate, Baron of the Cinque Ports, who was elected Mayor of Winchelsea twelve times from 1895. (Sussex Records Society web site) An interesting association copy and very good example of this elusive book.
[Stock No. 25316]