The Charter And By-laws Of The Corporation Of The Governor And Directors Of The Hospital For Poor French Protestants And Their Descendants Residing In Great Britain.
Printed at the Chiswick Press.
8vo. 8.5 x 5.75 inches. xxvi + 68 pp. +  pp. with colophon. Bound in original blue cloth with decorated blind stamped borders enclosing gilt titles and block of seal on front board. All edges gilt. A little wear of extremities, including edges and head and tail of spine and foxing of flyleaves; otherwise a very good copy. Ink alterations and additions to Addenda of list of officials. Illustrated by 5 plates, including 3 at front with 2 plans, and 2 engraved views, now loosely inserted, at back. Decorated by vignettes of Hospital seal on title page and in General By-Laws, by head and tailpiece vignettes and initials and by colophon of Chiswick Press at end. The text contains an historical introduction, the Charter of Incorporation, extracts from relevant wills, the Bye-Laws and a list of officials from 1718-1892. A previous edition was published in 1876. The French Protestant Hospital in London, for poor Huguenots and their descendants, was founded in 1718 at a site at Golden Park, Finsbury, moving to Victoria Park, Hackney in 1865. Following wartime evacuation and requisitioning in 1941, a new facility was established at Horsham in 1947. The present site of almshouses at La Providence, Rochester was opened in 1959. The Hospital's historic collections are housed in a new Huguenot Museum opened in the city in 2015.
[Stock No. 27376]