The Charter And By-laws Of The Corporation Of The Governor And Directors Of The Hospital For Poor French Protestants And Their Descendants Residing In Great Britain With Lists Of The Officers.
Printed for the French Hospital.
La Providence, Rochester
8vo. 8.5 x 5.75 inches. 69 pp. +  pp. +  blank leaves. Bound in original blue cloth with gilt titles and block of seal on front board. A very good copy. Ink additions to lists of officials. 1972 signature of J. Romilly Roget on first free endpaper. Illustrated by 5 black and white photographic plates. The text contains a short historical introduction, the Charter of Incorporation and a Supplemental Charter extracts from relevant wills, the Bye-Laws and a list of officials from 1718-1969 Previous editions were published in 1876 and 1892. The French Protestant Hospital in London, for poor Huguenots and their descendants, was founded in 1718 at a site at Golden Park, Finsbury, moving to Victoria Park, Hackney in 1865. Following wartime evacuation and requisitioning in 1941, a new facility was established at Horsham in 1947. The present site of almshouses at La Providence, Rochester was opened in 1959. The Hospital's historic collections are housed in a new Huguenot Museum opened in the city in 2015.
[Stock No. 27377]