Sevenoaks Turnpike Trust – Draft Indenture For Conveyance Of Land..
Originally folded in four, with foldmarks, a small missing section on former front and back of folded document, not affecting legibility. Extremities worn but otherwise in fine condition.
The hon. r. h. clive by the direction of the earl and countess amherst and the trustees of the sevenoaks turnpike road. (copy draft) conveyance by way of exchange of certain lands in the parish of sevenoaks, kent, forming the site of a new line of road near white hart hill. (the word,'certain' and those after kent have been crossed through). dated 22nd october 1852. austen and holcroft, sevenoaks.
Manuscript on blue paper, tied with tape, with annotations in several other hands Folio. 10 x 16.75 inches.  pages, numbered 1-13. The plans mentioned as drawn in the margin are not included in this draft document. Red stamp with white horse, inscribed Gordon Ward. M.D. F.S.A.
An extensively annotated draft indenture for the conveyance and exchange of land in the vicinity of Knole Park, between the Trustees of the Sevenoaks Turnpike Trust on one hand and Robert Henry Clive and the Earl and Countess of Amherst on the other. In 1822 a specification of the construction work for realigning the road in the area of White Hart Hill was issued, and the Trustees were further authorised by two Acts of the mid-1830s to divert the turnpike road along a new line. By this Indenture the two Treasurers of the Trust, Charles Palmer and Joseph Palmer of Sevenoaks, agree to pay Clive '£65.12.6 of lawful British money' for a piece of land of just over one acre, being part of two fields called Shangden Meadow, or Long Meadow, and Seven Acres, belonging to Whitehart Farm. An insertion at the end grants to Clive in exchange, a 'part of the Old Road intended to be abandoned' between Knole Park on the north and Clive's existing land to the south. The document rehearses at great length the descent of the land sold to the Trust from the Duke of Dorset to his daughter, Mary, then Countess of Plymouth, and later Countess Amherst in 1825. By a family settlement of 1839, Clive (now a relative by marriage) had acquired an interest in the Amherst land in question. William Pitt Amherst, first Earl Amherst (1773-1857), served as a diplomat at the courts of the two Sicilies and of the Chinese Emperor before his appointment as Governor-General of Bengal in 1823. On his return from India to Knole House, he sometimes occupied himself in local affairs, particularly in promoting road improvements. He married Mary (1792-1864), widow of his stepson the sixth Earl of Plymouth, as his second wife in 1839. She had been born Lady Sackville, one of the daughters of John Frederick, 3rd Duke of Dorset, of Knole House. Robert Henry Clive (1789-1856) of Oakley Park, Shropshire, who had married Harriet, daughter of Other Windsor, 5th Earl of Plymouth in 1819, was a grandson of Clive of India and was MP for Ludlow, 1818-32 and for Shropshire South from 1832.
[Stock No. 20872]