Missionary College, Canterbury..
Published by Henry Ward, Mercery Lane,
No date but c.1848.
Formerly the abbey of st. augustine. warden the right reverend bishop coleridge d.d.
l.l.razé. del g. hawkins lith; day and son lith. to the queen
Tinted lithograph 13 x 10.5 inches. Marked 'Proof' within the plate. A fine example with wide Margins
The Missionary College was consecrated on June 29, 1848. It is likely that Henry Ward commissioned Razé to produce this view to mark the event.
Razé's fine draughtsmanship captures the majesty of the gothic Gateway and presents to the viewer standing in what is now Lady Wootton's Green. The groups of figures in the foreground charmingly complete the scene. Louis Laurent Raze was the best-known drawing master at the King's School, Canterbury, in the 19th Century. Born at Cambrai in France, he came to England in 1823 and settled in Canterbury. He was at the King's School from approximately 1842 to 1864.
[Stock No. 21401]