Memoirs Of The Right Honourable Arthur Earl Of Anglesey, Late Lord Privy Seal..

ANGLESEY, ARTHUR ANNESLEY, FIRST EARL.

Bound in original full calf; spine in compartments with raised bands with contrasting maroon title label., gilt. Extremities worn and base of spine and part of adjoining front board missing. A few stains inside but generally a crisp clean copy. Partly erased early inscription on title page and armorial bookplate of George Wilbraham.

Publisher

Printed for John Dunton, at the Raven in the Poultry.,

Place

London

Date

1693

Synopsis

Intermixt, with moral, political and historical observations, by way of discourse in a letter. to which is prefixt a letter written by his lordship during his retirement from court in the year 1683. published by sir peter pett, knight. advocate general for the kingdom of ireland.

Item Description

8vo. 4.5 x 6.75 inches. [32] + 351 pp. + [1] pp. errata and printer's advertisement.

Notes

Arthur Annesley, First Earl of Anglesea (1614-1686) was the son of an Irish peer and fought there in the parliamentary cause during the civil war. He was no republican and was purged from Parliament in 1648 and not restored to Westminster until after 1660, inheriting his father's Irish titles in that year and receiving his English title, Anglesea in 1661. Although his sympathies lay towards the puritan and nonconformist cause Anglesey held a number of government offices but in the early 1680s during the Exclusion Crisis (attempt to exclude the catholic, James Duke of York from being heir to the throne) found himself in opposition and after being dismissed form his post as Lord Privy Seal went into the retirement referred to on the title page. This letter on issues of politics and theology was written to Sir Peter Pett and is also introduced by him in the dedicatory epistle. Pett (1630-99) of the famous shipbuilding family was a lawyer who sat in the Irish parliament from 1661-66. He became a protégé of Anglesey and later looked after his business interests in London. This copy was owned either by George Wilbraham of Nantwich (1741-1813), briefly MP for Bodmin, (1789-90) or by his son George (1779-1852), of Delamere Lodge, Cheshire, who served as MP for Stocbridge and later Cheshire, 1826-41.

[Stock No. 22587]

Search by typing:

Or Choose a Category: