Kent – A Topographical Map Of The County Of Kent, In Twenty Five Sheets. On A Scale Of Two Inches To A Mile, From An Actual Survey;
Printed for A. Dury in Dukes Court, St. Martins Lane and W. Herbert, at No 27 in Gulstons Square. White Chappel.. Published according to Act of Parliament January 1st. 1769.
In which are expressed all the roads, lanes, churches, towns, villages, noblemen and gentlemens seats, roman roads, hills, rivers, woods, cottages and every thing remarkable in the county; together with the division of the lathes and their subdivision into hundreds. by jno. c. andrews, andw. dury, and w. herbert.
First edition. Folio. 16 x 21.5 inches. Each map approx. 28 x 21 inches. A Map of the County of Kent (index map) and 25 copper-engraved hand-coloured in outline. The engraved title and dedication form sheets 25 and 21, and a Plan of the Town of Sandwich is located in the lower left hand corner of map 22. These maps are at a scale of two inches to the mile. Nothing larger was issued until the 25 inch Ordnance Survey maps of the mid-nineteenth century. Additionally in this copy is a large scale plan of Canterbury also by Andrews and published by Dury and Herbert, dated 1768 which is extra to this copy. In this example there is another additional plate of a large scale plan of London as it appeared in 1560, which is lithographically reproduced from a picture formerly in Sir Hans Sloane's Museum and published by Mssrs E Bonser and Son, Tea Merchants. The index map, divided into numbered squares to help you find any map in the collection within is signed T. Kitchin, Sculp.; Maps 2, 3, 8-10, 13, 14, 17-19 and 20 signed John Andrews, Sculp. A rare atlas of the county of Kent; Andrews and Dury published their famous atlas some thirty years before the Ordnance Survey, immediately becoming the best large scale maps of the county. It is thought that Edward Hasted based his maps of the Hundreds of Kent on Andrews and Dury's work. The finely engraved hatching at once distinguishes these sheets from other maps of the period and the use of the large scale enables one to see individual houses and, particularly, the ground plans of the country seats, many of which are identified with their owners' names; even the houses of the lesser gentry are included. A circular of 1765 sought subscriptions for this project Andrews appears to have been the principal engraver and possibly surveyor as well, Dury and Herbert were booksellers in London who backed the project. The Map was reprinted in 1775, 1779 and 1794 all the issues are rare and highly prized. The map was issued in this first edition as uncoloured sheets, and coloured in outline.
[Stock No. 26250]