Colbran’s New Guide For Tunbridge Wells, Being A Full And Accurate Description Of The Wells And Its Neighbourhood, Within A Circuit Of Nearly Twenty Miles, And Notices Of The London And Dover Railway; Illustrated With Plates, Wood Engravings, Etc. Of Most Of The Principal Places,.


Bound in original brown cloth, gilt with oval gilt title on front board. Extremities a little worn and occasional foxing but otherwise a very good copy. Armourial bookplate of William John Mercer.





Printed and Published by John Colbran, Bookseller, Etc. High Street; London: A. H. Baily and Co., Cornhill.,


Tunbridge Wells


1844 [i.e. 1846].


[includes addendum:] descriptive particulars of the south eastern (london and dover) railway...from the tunbridge station to london, folkestone, and dover, by james phippen.
second edition. edited by james phippen.

Item Description

12mo. 4.75 x 7.75 inches. [2] pp. advertisement tipped in + 28 pp. advertisements + x + [ii] + 353 pp. + [1] +[1] pp. publisher's advertisement + 5 pp. Addenda + [2] pp. publisher's advertisement. South Eastern Railway section has separate title page but pagination and register are continuous.


Illustrated by frontispiece and by wood engravings in text.


This Second Edition of Colbran's New Guide For Tunbridge Wells has the date 1844 on the title page and an undated Advertisement and Preface, but refers to 'this present summer, 1846' on page one of Addenda. Essentially a reissue of the 1843 Second Edition, it has no map, only one plate (instead of fourteen) and a five page Addenda and therefore corresponds most closely to Goulden 80; with the exception that it has a brown cover and the advertisement for the Hydropathic Establishment on page 27 of the initial advertisement section is pasted over by a cancel advertisement for the same establishment as in Goulden 82 and 83 (which, however have the map and fourteen or fifteen plates). According to Goulden, too many copies were normally printed of these guides, leading to a complex sequence of cancels and reissues of the preliminaries of all editions from 1839-40 onward (see his paragraph, p. 94-95 for the additional complications of the 1844-46 reissues). A notable addition to the Second Edition is the addendum on the South Eastern Railway, whose main line to Folkestone and Dover was completed, 1843-44, while this 1846 reissue has an Addenda describing the opening of the Tunbridge Wells branch railway. John Colbran (1809-84) was a former apprentice of John Clifford, the other important publisher of Tunbridge Wells guidebooks in the first half of the nineteenth century. Colbran employed James Phippen (1795?-1862), who had written guides for several other Kent towns, to edit his guidebook. The former owner of this copy was William John Mercer (d.1926), a Margate solicitor whose collection of books and papers is now in Canterbury Cathedral Library.

[Stock No. 23920]

Search by typing:

Or Choose a Category: