Articles Of Agreement  Between… William Earl Of Radnor And…jacob Pleydell Bouverie Commonly Called Viscount Folkestone…of The One Part And Robert Ballard Johnstone Of West Cliff Terrace, Folkestone…a Commander In The Royal Navy Of The Other Part.
[short Title On Top Fold]: Agreement For Building On Land On The Lees On The West Cliff Folkestone In The County Of Kent..
Manuscript on parchment with embossed stamp, signed by Lord Radnor and Viscount Folkestone and witnessed by R. C. Corbett. Traces of former folds with short title on former top fold. Some griming of outside folds but otherwise in good condition.
1862 BUILDING. WEST CLIFF, THE LEAS
LEGAL MANUSCRIPT. 9.5 x 15.25 inches.  leaves.
Illustrated by hand coloured site plan.
William Pleydell-Bouverie, 3rd Earl of Radnor (1779-1869), the Lord of the Manor of Folkestone and his heir, Jacob Pleydell-Bouverie, Viscount Folkestone (1815-1889) lease a plot of land on the Leas to Robert Ballard Johnstone. He is to construct a house and outbuildings of brick or stone on the site, at a minimum cost of £1,500, to an approved design. The lease was for a period of ninety nine years and covenants forbade 'the demised premises to be occupied by any person carrying on therein any trade or business whatsoever and not to use...for an Asylum Dispensary or other similar Institution.' The adjacent property to building site on the plan was occupied by Revd. Chas. Parsons, whose address in the 1878 Kelly's directory is given as 3, The Leas so that the site would presumably become no. 4. In the 1960 Kelly's, nos. 3/4 were occupied by the Bristol and nos. 5-6 by the Wythenshawe Hotels. All these buildings were subsequently demolished and replaced and consequently the 1862 building is no longer in existence.
[Stock No. 22895]