1. Mr Campbell The Revd. Charles Campbell And Miss Elizabeth Campbell To John Parkes Lease Of A House At Hatton Wall. Christmas 1790. 2. Parkes’s Lease Dated Febry 1st 1791 Revd. Charles And Miss E Campbell To Mr John Parkes Counterpart Of Lease. 3.the Revd. Charles Campbell To Mr Musselwhite Counterpart Of Lease Of A Messuage And Premises In Hatton Wall In The Parish Of St Andrew Holborn…dated 1 May 1810. 4. Robert Campbell Esq. To Mr William Hill. Lease Of A House No.32 Hatton Wall St Andrew Holborn…dated 24th June 1823. 5. Counterpart Of 4. 6. Robert Campbell Esq. To Mr William Hill Lease Of A House No.32 Hatton Wall, St. Andrew Holborn…dated 24th June 1845. 7. Counterpart Of 6..
1. Lower right hand edge of text of p.1-2 and of blank part of last two pages, missing; the lost text is, however identical to that in its counterpart (2) which is intact, although containing a number of tears. Both show some staining and signs of wear. 3. Some browning and staining, especially on verso. 4. Lower edge cut to both sections, removing signature and seal, with very slight loss of text (these features are all present on 5, the Counterpart). Some browning and staining, especially on verso. 5. Some browning but otherwise a fine clean copy. 6. Lower edge cut to both sections, removing signature and seal, with very slight loss of text (these features are all present on 7, the Counterpart). Some staining to title fold of verso of 6, but otherwise both are fine clean copies.
[Legal stationery] Sold by 3. W and G. H. Witherby, Birchin Lane. 4-5. Josh. Rushton, Law Stationer, Chancery Lane. 6-7. Richard Moulton Law Stationer. Chancery Lane.,
1791. 1810. 1823. 1845..
1-2. Two manuscripts on folded single sheets, with embossed stamps and seals, written on three sides with titles on verso. 9.5 x 15 inches. 3. Manuscript on folded vellum, with red rules, embossed stamp and seals. 30 x 22 inches. 4-5. Manuscripts on folded vellum, in two parts attached, with red rules, embossed stamps and seal (Counterpart only). Both 26.5 x 22 inches. 6-7. Manuscripts on folded vellum, in two parts attached, with red rules, embossed stamps and seal (Counterpart only). Both 26.5 x 22.5 inches. 3-7 all have titles and witness statements on verso.
A series of leases on 32 Hatton Wall, which is adjacent to the north end of Hatton Garden, in the parish of St. Andrew Holborn, owned by the Campbell family and let to various tradesmen. All these leases contain the usual provisions for keeping all the fixtures and fittings in good order, for the right of access by the landlord and his agents, with due notice, the payment of national and local taxes and rates, a prohibition on noisome trades (not in 1791) and the tenant's right to quiet enjoyment of the property.1-2. In 1791, The Reverend Charles Campbell of Weasenham, Norfolk and his sister, Miss Elizabeth Campbell of Suffolk Street in the parish of Saint Mary le Bone, Middlesex, let the property to John Parkes, also of St.Andrew, whose occupation is given as Mangler (presumably in the laundry business, specialising in the pressing and folding of clothes). The lease is for twenty one years at an annual rental of £16, paid in instalments on the quarter days. 2 is the counterpart lease signed by the tenant. 3. In 1810, the lease is surrendered by Parkes and the property is re-let (signature date is 31 May) by Campbell (his sister having died in the intervening years) to Joseph Musselwhite, already resident in Hatton Wall, Calico Glazer, for a period of twenty one years at an annual rental of £35. 4-5. Since 1810, Musselwhite has been replaced as tenant by Theophilus Brown, who is in turn succeeded by the present tenant, William Hill, carpenter, already in residence when this twenty one year lease (annual rental, £32) is granted by Robert Campbell, esquire, of Fakenham, Norfolk (presumably the son, or other heir of Charles Campbell). There is an extensive list of trades which may only be carried out with permission: 'Brazier, Tinman, Printer, Slaughterman, Tallow Chandler, Melter of Tallow, Tobaccopipe Maker, Tobaccopipe Burner, Soapmaker, Sugar Baker, Fellmonger, Victualler or Bagnio Keeper, Common Brewer, Distiller, Farrier, or Blacksmith or any other Noisy Noisome or Nauseous Trade Business or Occupation.' Also prohibited without licence are use as a Lockup House, Police Office or for auction sales. 6-7. A further extension of the lease on similar terms, for twenty one years, at a monthly rental of £30, is signed on 24 June 1845. On the principal copy, some later pencil amendments have been added; Robert Campbell's residence is changed to 28 Lincolns Inn Fields Middlesex and the name of William Hill has been replaced by 'Charles Chapel[?] 4 G' Bath St.'
[Stock No. 20886]