Woodward Of Folkestone. Victorian At War With His Time.
Alan Taylor, Folkestone.
Large 4to. 8.25 x 11.75 inches. [viii] + 227 pp. + . Illustrated in black and white. In original coloured pictorial card wrappers. New copy in mint condition. An account of Canon Matthew Woodward, Incumbent of Folkestone 1851-98, by Canon Tony Shepherd, one of his successors and now Vicar of St Peter's, Harrogate. Started in 1970 and completed by 1979, when the Archbishop of Canterbury wrote the preface, it remained unpublished for over thirty years. The circumstances are related in the acknowledgements by Alan Taylor, of Folkestone and District Local History Society, who transcribed the work from the original manuscript held by Marrin's Bookshop. Canon Woodward, rebuilt and extended the Parish Church of St Mary and St Eanswythe, 'from nothing better than a barn' (1856-92) and was also responsible for the foundation of other new churches in the expanding town, including St Peter's and St Michael's. His introduction of High Church ritual was the cause of much controversy at the time.
[Stock No. 26964]