[three Guides Bound In One:] A Description Of Brighthelmstone, And The Adjacent Country; Or The New Guide For Ladies And Gentlemen Using That Place Of Health And Amusement. (brighthelmstone: Printed For M. Crawford, 1792, Vii + [i] + 84 Pp. Engraved Title). [bound With:] The Margate Guide. Containing A Particular Account Of Margate, With Respect To Its New Buildings, Assemblies, Accommodations, Manner Of Bathing, And Remarkable Places In Its Neighbourhood. To Which Is Prefixed A Short Description Of The Isle Of Thanet; And At The End Is Added, A Tide Table For Margate. Illustrated With A Map Of The Isle Of Thanet, And A View Of The Bathing Machine In Its Several Positions. (london: Printed For T. Carnan And F. Newberry, Jun. At Number 65, In St. Paul’s Church-yard; And J. Hall, In High-street, Margate, 1775, 60 Pp.). [bound With:] A History Of The Cathedral Church Of Peterborough, From Its Foundation, To The Present Time; Containing The Manner In Which It Has Been Destroyed, Once By The Danes And Twice By Fire, And As Often Re-edified. The Fifth Edition. (peterborough: Printed And Sold By J. Jacob, 1795,  + 110 Pp.).
Bound in half calf over marbled boards; spine in raised bands with gilt lines with maroon morocco label, gilt. Extremities worn but otherwise a good copy. Elaborate signature of Mrs Arnold of Paradise Row, Lambeth, 1795 on front pastedown, repeated in smaller abbreviated format at foot of p.vii, Brighthelmstone; later pencil signature of William Whenday, Eltham, Kent, 1874 on first free endpaper, repeated on recto of Margate frontispiece.
THREE EIGHTEENTH CENTURY GUIDES
Brighthelmstone; London and Margate; Peterborough
1792; 1775; 1795.
8vo; 12mo; 8vo. 4.25 x 6 inches. Pagination, see above.
Illustrated by engraved title, frontispiece, folding map and by tables in text.
Three eighteenth century guides bound as one. The Brighton Guide was first published 1788 and all editions have the Advertisement at the beginning signed, 'M.' The Margate Guide was first published in 1763 and under this title in 1770. It is subtitled A Short Account of the Isle of Thanet, closer to its original title, and is noteworthy for its description, explanation (at end), and frontispiece plate of the bathing machine, showing the version with the hood which was developed in Margate around 1750. The Peterborough Cathedral guide is an abridgement of the History of the Church of Peterburgh, 1686, by Simon Gunton (1609-1676) and was first published under the title A Concise History...in 1782. At the end it includes A true Narrative of the Rifling and Defacing, the Cathedral Church of Peterborough, in the year 1643.
[Stock No. 23833]