Monasticon Favershamiense In Agro Cantiano:.
Bound in original calf with blind stamped borders; spine in compartments with gilt bands, with contrasting morocco title label, gilt. The extremities are a little worn and edges darkened or spotted, but otherwise a very good crisp copy. 1883 signature crossed through on first free endpaper.
Printed for T. Passenger living at the sign of the three Bibles upon London bridge.,
Or a surveigh of the monastry of faversham in the county of kent. wherein its barony and right to sit in parliament is discovered. together with its antient and modern estate described. as also its founder and benefactors remembered. by tho southouse of greys-inne esq; to which is added an appendix of the descent of king stephen, by tho. philipot esq;
Small 8vo, 4 x 6.25 inches. [xiv] + 167 pp. Register is irregular at beginning and possibly lacks blank leaf noted by ESTC; the collation of our copy corresponds to that given by Smith, including the irregular pagination at the beginning.
Illustrated by engraved frontispiece.
An early history of Faversham Abbey, (of the Cluniac order) from its foundation by King Stephen in 1148 until the dissolution, followed by a brief account of the Priory of Davington. At the end is an appendix on the descent of King Stephen, including 'A Series of the Earls of Blois and Champaigne,' by Thomas Philipot. This work by Thomas Southouse (1640 or 41-1676) is very scarce. (ESTC R6824. Smith).
[Stock No. 25315]