Henry Aston Barker And John Burford’s Panorama, Strand. Explanation Of The View Of Dover,.
Traces of earlier folds, a very good example of an extremely rare piece of street advertising ephemera .
J. Adlard, Printer, No.23. Bartholomew Close.,
[n.d. but c.1818].
Taken from the south pier. a splendid view of athens, is exhibiting in the large circle.
Single sheet circular pictorial diagram. 11 x 10.5 inches.
The circular view of Dover from the South Pier, shows the entrance to the Harbour, the Outer Basin, the cast iron tunnel intended to clear away the bar by force of water, coastal features from Shakespeare Cliff and the Western Heights to the South Foreland and the various fortifications including the New Barracks and Drop Redoubt and the Castle. The View of Dover was exhibited at the Strand Panorama from mid-1817 to mid-1819 and was the last exhibit in the Lesser Circle. It partly coincided with the view of Athens and the Surrounding Country, shown from mid-1818 to April 1819 and this advertising flyer is most likely to date from 1818 when the two were first shown together. Henry Aston Barker (1774-1856) was the son of Robert Barker who invented the concept of the panorama which was viewed from above. The Barker family from Scotland operated both the original Leicester Square Panorama and the Strand Panorama, the two circles of which were constructed, 1802-04. Henry, a talented landscape artist who travelled abroad in search of panorama subjects, purchased it from his elder brother, Thomas in 1817, but soon delegated the management to John Burford, a former pupil of his father and his son. It became known as Burford's Panorama and closed in 1831.
[Stock No. 22415]