Folkestone – Past And Present.
F. J. Parsons (Kent Newspapers) Ltd., Printers, The Bayle[ for Folkestone Borough Council].
8vo. 5.5 x 8.25 inches. 95 +  pp. Advertisements in text, many whole page. In pictorial grey card wrappers with blue titles. Spine sunned and a little wear to extremities, but otherwise a very good copy. Loosely inset: Walter Moncrieff (A Complete Men's Wear Service),  pp. folded on yellow paper. Illustrated by black and white photographs, including title page, diagrams, maps and by folding Plan of The Town of Folkestone in 1782. An informative and wide ranging account of the town, edited by the Borough Librarian, R. Howarth, ALA, with articles by numerous contributors, including Peter Davies of the Reference Library. The foreword is signed by the Mayor, John Moncrieff. Subjects covered include all aspects of Folkestone's history, the Harbour, the railway, William Harvey, Shorncliffe Camp, the Church and Priory, The Manor, street names, smuggling days, Castle Hill, The Cherry Garden, the Chalybeate Spring, Channel swimming, the corporation and walks in the vicinity. Well illustrated with a good reproduction of the 1782 street plan, the text is also enlivened by numerous period advertisements.
[Stock No. 26912]