Folkestone, Kent 1875
The horn tower at the entrance to folkestone harbour before the construction of today's harbour arm
38.5 x 55.5cm (15.25 x 21.75ins) Watercolour and pencil on paper, signed in pencil to lower left. 'Folkestone, Kent 1875' in pencil on verso. Watermarked paper 'Whatman 1875'. Mounted, with artist's name and title at foot of mount In good, bright condition. The South Eastern Railway took over Folkestone Harbour in 1842, and in 1848 they built an ornate wooden lighthouse which was known as the Horn Tower. Later, when the pier was extended, a new stone-built lighthouse was erected, however the Horn Tower remained until 1941 when it was dismantled and replaced by Second World War defences for the Harbour. Throughout the 19th Century The Horn Tower was a popular viewpoint for people to take the air from and marvel at the scenery. Next to the lighthouse there is a flagstaff which was used by the Harbour Master to signal to shipping whether it was safe to enter port. In the left foreground there is a Napoleonic cannon mounted on a gun carriage which was used for defence of the Harbour. The location of the Horn Tower is where the Orange Holiday Home created by Richard Woods for the 2017 Triennial now stands on permanent display, which is in the car park opposite to the entrance of the Harbour mouth. Henry Anelay...
[Stock No. 26264]