A Complete Vindication Of The Mallard Of All Souls College.
Printed for J. and J. Rivington, in St. Paul's Church-Yard; and J. Fletcher in Oxford.
BOUND PAMPHLETS. 8vo. 5 x 8 inches. 34 pp +  pp. Index and publisher's advertisement; The Second Edition, 62 pp +  pp. index. Some text in black letter. Two pamphlets bound in half black morocco, gilt, over green marbled boards. Green marbled endpapers. Both very good copies. Pictorial bookplate of A. M. Broadley. Binding probably by G. F. Ayling, Marylebone Rd., London NW, as evidence of other bindings in his library shows the same style of workmanship. Illustrated by title page vignettes of the mallard and by headpiece and endpiece engraved vignettes, 2nd edition. The mallard was a founding legend of All Souls College, Oxford. The giant bird supposedly flew out of the foundations during the preparation of the site in 1437, in fulfilment of a dream of Archbishop Chichele and was promptly caught and eaten by the assembled academics. The mid-eighteenth century controversy related here was precipitated by the publication of Oxoniensis Academica (1749)by the antiquarian clergyman, John Pointer (1668-1754), a graduate of Merton College, who had the temerity to suggest that the mallard was merely a goose. These anonymous pamphlets were written by Benjamin Buckler (c.1717-1780), another Oxford antiquarian clergyman, who graduated MA 1739, and was elected a fellow of All Souls in the same year. The ceremony of hunting the mallard, including the singing of the mallard song, is now held every hundred years at the College, the last occasion being in 2001. Two scarce pamphlets, handsomely bound. (ESTC T31057 and T31058). This copy was owned by Alexander Meyrick Broadley (1847-1916), barrister and book collector, of The Knapp, Bradpole, Dorset
[Stock No. 26201]